Skip to main content

Calendar wreath for Christmas


This past week I was invited to a friend's house for a "wreath party". This isn't just any wreath. It's an advent wreath that is focused on Christ. My friend, Amy, set up her dining room table with all of the items we needed to make this wreath. The only thing I had to bring was a pair of scissors, a quarter, and a wreath. I picked up my wreath at Michaels for $2.99.
We sat around card tables she set up around her home. As we arrived she handed us a piece of paper with a list of each day, what the token for that day was, and a Bible verse that explained the token. Each token was to be wrapped in tissue paper, dated, and tied onto the wreath with yarn.
I sat across the table from Amy's 8 year old daughter. She was making a wreath for a family at her church who's mother is undergoing cancer treatments. She made her wreath in 1/2 hour. It took me an hour. What can I say, but I'm a little slow.
If you'd like to make one, I've listed the Key below:
December 1 Mark 12:41-44
A quarter! That equals 25 cents. But 25 also stands for the number of days 'til Christmas, when God gave us His best present. Jesus told about one woman's gift and the way she gave it.
December 2 John 2:1-10
Grape gum! Grapes make jelly and juices, raisins and wine. But Jesus didn't need grapes to perform His first miracle.
December 3 Matthew 5:1-12
Smile sticker! A smile usually expresses happiness. Jesus gave us many instructions to keep us happy.
December 4 Luke 5:4-7
Gold Fish Cracker! Well, if you were surprised to find these fish, wait until you read the story today. Others were surprised to find fish, too.
December 5 Matthew 5:14-16
Birthday Candle! As you know, we are getting ready to celebrate Jesus' birthday. However, Jesus talked about something else that is related to this candle. Light!
December 6 Mark 7:31-37
Party Horn! You could make some noise with this, but it would not have bothered a certain man - until he met Jesus.
December 7 Matthew 14:13-21
Gold Fish Crackers! These would not go far if you were really hungry, but Jesus could make much out of little. Surely He knew how to multiply!
December 8 Matthew 8:23-27
Cotton Balls! These cotton balls would be helpful in a thunderstorm, wouldn't they? We could use them to muffle the loud noises that thunder makes. But we know someone who doesn't need cotton. Jesus can control the weather.
December 9 John 14:1-6
Piece of a map! People needing to use the other parts of this map are in trouble. Don't you get lost today!
December 10 John 9:1-7
Soap! Do you like to wash? Your hands and face? Behind your ears? Washing turned out to be a happy time for a man who met Jesus.
December 11 Matthew 22:37-40
Hearts! Wordlessly, they speak of love, don't they? Jesus spoke some commands about love.
December 12 Philippians 2:1-11
Cross! We use the cross as a symbol, representing Jesus. do you know why?
December 13 Matthew 5:13, Colossians 4:6
Salt! Yes, Jesus related salt to us and our behavior. He also gave us some advice. (notice He doesn't mention pepper!)
December 14 Matthew 7:24-29
Sand! Don't try to eat this. It reminds us that Jesus knows something about architecture,, about buildings, and building lives.
December 15 Matthew 6:28-34
Flowers! Flowers are pretty, aren't they? Jesus used flowers to teach us a reassuring lesson.
December 16 John 15:1-5
Raisins! Many children are given raisins instead of candy for a snack. That's because they are health-promoting and delicious fruit. Jesus told us how we can produce good fruit.
December 17 Matthew 13:3-8,18-23
Seeds! Jesus told a story about seeds that a man planted. then He explained it, revealing its deep meaning.
December 18 Psalm 100
Music notes! Christmas is just about a week away. And here is an appropriate song. Sing it loudly!
December 19 Matthew 4:1-4
A rock! Can you change this stone into a piece of bread? Do you think Jesus could? Jesus was asked to do that. Do you know how he handled it?
December 20 1 Corinthians 15:12
Aluminum Foil! Try to smooth out this piece of aluminum foil and use it as a mirror. It's hard to see your reflection plainly, isn't it? Many circumstances are hard to understand, but someday everything will be clear.
December 21 Matthew 17:20
Mustard Seed! The mustard seed is the smallest there is. When it sprouts, it grows into one of the largest plants. See what Jesus said.
December 22 Matthew 3:13-17
Dove! We've learned what the cross represents Christ, but do you know what the dove stands for?
December 23 John 10:7-18
Thread! the threads that compose this fabric came from the wool of a sheep. Jesus called Himself the Good Shepherd. Do you know who His sheep are?
December 24 John 3:16
A blue marble! Do you know what is sometimes called the "Big Blue Marble"? The world. god made the world for us. What does God continue doing to the world? And WHO is in the world?
December 25 Luke 21:20
A baby! Aren't babies cute? When a baby is born, he or she makes a whole family happy. Jesus was born a baby, too. He came to make the whole world happy.
It's the end of our Advent season but it isn't the end of learning about Jesus and His Word. Continue to learn about Jesus - and love Him forever! That's the best Christmas gift you could ever give to Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Make Your Own Exercise Bike For Next To Nothing

Remember back in April when I had a kidney transplant?  Well, the kidney is doing great (thanks, Cathy , for taking such good care of it when you owned it).  There was one little glitch, however.  During surgery, the retractors they used caused some nerve damage in my right leg.  When I woke up from surgery, I couldn't move or feel my leg.  The docs felt like the feeling would come back but the paralysis had them stumped.  A visit to a neurologist ruled out a stroke and a CT scan showed some fluid which was pressing on L4 and L5 (medical talk which means I couldn't feel or move part of my leg).  The prognosis is good and I'm recovering pretty quickly.  In fact, I've left my cane behind and I'm walking freestyle without falling.  My next goal is to be able to drive. I've been itching to get back to exercising (physical therapy doesn't count) because my medication causes me to gain weight and I need to burn some calories.  Running? - nope.  Walking? - can&

A Designer's Secret For A Taller Bed

  Several years ago Hubs and I spent almost a year looking for a bedroom set that we both loved.  He wanted clean lines and dark wood.  I wanted curves and a "tall" bed.  Of course, there was no perfect bedroom set but we were able to compromise on a set that we both liked.  My main wish was for a bed that I could "climb up into".  The problem with that wish was that most of the "tall" beds were four poster beds and Hubs was not in the mood for that.  We found a Thomasville bed on display at a local furniture store and it fit the clean lines that Hubs wanted and it was "tall"  enough to suit me.  The problem was that once we received the bed we ordered in our home, it wasn't as tall as I had remembered it being.  My heart sunk!  I went back to the furniture store to look at the display.  Their bed was much taller than our bed.  Hmmm. . . what was different? I got nosey and lifted up the comforter on the bed.  It revealed their secret

Plans For A DIY Exercise Bike Stand

  Thank you to so many of you who emailed me about plans for the DIY Exercise Bike Stand .  I apologize that it has taken me so long to get the measurements to you, but they are finally here!   The wood was purchased at Home Depot and the bike pegs were purchased at Walmart in the bike section.    The bike we used for this project is a 24" 12 speed bike (I'm a shorty).  I used the hardest gear while riding, but this set-up does not allow you to really get much resistance (for building muscle).  It was great for getting my legs moving after some nerve damage.  I also wanted to burn calories and get my heart rate up and this did the trick.    If you have any questions, just shoot me an email.