Skip to main content

Monday Motivation: Welcome in the Spring


We've had a few days of above freezing temps now and I've begun to get a bit of Spring Fever. It helps to get through the dreary days of late winter if I have some springy decorations around the house to cheer me up. Here are some ideas for bringing that fresh look into your home:

1. Cut some twigs of spring blooming branches and bring them into the house. Some ideas are apple trees, cherry trees, forsythia, pussy willows, quince, and lilac. Simply cut small branches/twigs that are about 24 inches long and place them in a vase of water. In a few weeks you'll have a vase full of blooming branches. I've found that forsythia blooms the quickest. Last year my forsythia also rooted in the water and I had several new "bushes" to plant out in the yard.

2. Put away darker colored items and replace them with lighter colors. Pillow covers, vases, throws, picture frames, flower pots, and other accessories are all game. In the next few days I'll be posting several projects I've done to lighten up my home.

3. Look for accessories you have around your home that remind you of nature and "new life". Birds, bird's nests, eggs, feathers, seeds, flowers, leaves, moss, pastel colors, and lighter shades of your home's colors.

4. Rearrange your furniture to open up the floor plan. In winter we tend to "cocoon" and push furniture into cozier arrangements.

5. On sunny days, be sure to open your curtains and shades and let the sun shine in. If you have mini blinds or vertical blinds, open them up all the way to allow maximum sun to shine in. As nights are still cold, be sure to close them as the sun sets to keep cool air out.

6. If your climate allows, bring home pansies and other cold tolerant plants. Place them in a pot next to your front door and also where you can see them from inside your home (like on your deck). Seeing that cheerfulness outside will warm you up inside.

7. Place a bright and cheerful wreath on your front door. Michaels has a nice supply of spring picks available. Just buy 5-7 of them and stick them in a grapevine wreath you already have. I love the look of forsythia blooms poked into the rustic brown of a grapevine wreath. Very welcoming!

I hope you'll enjoy bringing a little bit of spring into your home.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the tips! I am thinking these will help me overcome my cabin fever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I was "lightening" up all weekend! It made me feel so much better. Great idea to bring some forsythia in. I also have a wild apple tree that blooms very early.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How To Make Your Own Exercise Bike For Next To Nothing

Remember back in April when I had a kidney transplant?  Well, the kidney is doing great (thanks, Cathy , for taking such good care of it when you owned it).  There was one little glitch, however.  During surgery, the retractors they used caused some nerve damage in my right leg.  When I woke up from surgery, I couldn't move or feel my leg.  The docs felt like the feeling would come back but the paralysis had them stumped.  A visit to a neurologist ruled out a stroke and a CT scan showed some fluid which was pressing on L4 and L5 (medical talk which means I couldn't feel or move part of my leg).  The prognosis is good and I'm recovering pretty quickly.  In fact, I've left my cane behind and I'm walking freestyle without falling.  My next goal is to be able to drive. I've been itching to get back to exercising (physical therapy doesn't count) because my medication causes me to gain weight and I need to burn some calories.  Running? - nope.  Walking? - can&

A Designer's Secret For A Taller Bed

  Several years ago Hubs and I spent almost a year looking for a bedroom set that we both loved.  He wanted clean lines and dark wood.  I wanted curves and a "tall" bed.  Of course, there was no perfect bedroom set but we were able to compromise on a set that we both liked.  My main wish was for a bed that I could "climb up into".  The problem with that wish was that most of the "tall" beds were four poster beds and Hubs was not in the mood for that.  We found a Thomasville bed on display at a local furniture store and it fit the clean lines that Hubs wanted and it was "tall"  enough to suit me.  The problem was that once we received the bed we ordered in our home, it wasn't as tall as I had remembered it being.  My heart sunk!  I went back to the furniture store to look at the display.  Their bed was much taller than our bed.  Hmmm. . . what was different? I got nosey and lifted up the comforter on the bed.  It revealed their secret

Plans For A DIY Exercise Bike Stand

  Thank you to so many of you who emailed me about plans for the DIY Exercise Bike Stand .  I apologize that it has taken me so long to get the measurements to you, but they are finally here!   The wood was purchased at Home Depot and the bike pegs were purchased at Walmart in the bike section.    The bike we used for this project is a 24" 12 speed bike (I'm a shorty).  I used the hardest gear while riding, but this set-up does not allow you to really get much resistance (for building muscle).  It was great for getting my legs moving after some nerve damage.  I also wanted to burn calories and get my heart rate up and this did the trick.    If you have any questions, just shoot me an email.