Skip to main content

Organizing your home in 2015-Start at the front door.

So. . . you've set a New Year's resolution to organize and deep clean your house this year.  Sure, sure - you said that same thing last year, but this year you really mean it.  But now it's almost the end of January and you don't know where to start. 

 Well, today's the day. 

 I'll be blogging each month about an area to work on .  We'll take one area per month.  Don't try to do more than that one area a month and overwhelm yourself  because you'll want to quit. 

 And quitters never have clean homes!

Ready?  Let's go!




In January, you should work on the area where you enter your home.  Front door?  Back door?  It doesn't matter.  We'll just call it your home's entrance.  

1.  Evaluate what you need in the area.  Think through your daily routine of entering and exiting.  Think about what you need to help your family get what they need and keep it organized.  Coat hooks?  Shoe racks?  Key storage?  Think also about new paint, a bench,  or a new rug.  

If you don't have a coat closet to hold your things, you can use ready made coat racks and shoe cubbies.  But here's the important thing - Don't buy anything yet!!  Just think about what you might want to get or do.


2.  Step two is the most important step.  Touch everything in that entrance area.  Pick it up and make a decision about where it belongs.  If it doesn't belong in the entrance area, set it aside. 

 If it's trash, put it in a black trash bag.  If it needs to be donated, put it in a clear trash bag.  If it belongs somewhere else in the house, put it in a large box or basket to empty out later. 

After you have made a decision about everything, put the trash in the trashcan and the donation bag in your car so you can drop it off to a charity.  Set the basket of items to be relocated outside of the room - don't put anything away yet.  

Anything that stays in the entrance area should be kept together.  Take another look at what you have decided to keep.  Only keep what is useful and what you like.  This is probably the hardest part for most of my clients (that's why they hire me!)

 The more clutter you have, the harder it is to keep organized.  Set all of these carefully chosen  things aside.  You'll put them away later.   

3.  Now for the elbow grease.  Clean every surface.  Start at the top, whether it's a closet or a wall.  Wipe down walls, shelves, and cabinets.  Finish with the floor.  If you need to make repairs, paint, or replace light bulbs, do it now.  

4.  Ahh. . . now you have a clean and fresh area to furnish.  Whether you have a closet, a hall, or a wall, decide what storage items will help you store what you need.  If your family is still growing, you'll want to take that into account.  Use what you already have or purchase new or thrifted items for storage.


5.  As you put your belongings away, keep like items together.  Put all of the gloves and hats together, all of the shoes together, etc.  Put items close to where you use them such as shoes close to the floor, kid's coats on a lower hook or bar to be easier to reach, etc. 

6.   Now you can step back and enjoy your hard work.  Grab the box of items that belong somewhere  else and put them away.

7.   Now for the second most important important step - maintenance.  Every week, tidy up the area by straightening everything and putting everything away.  Every January, go through the area and decide what items are no longer needed.  




Comments

  1. So glad to see this series start! Looking forward to a year of motivational posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post is lovely! I need to clean my home soon and your post really inspired me! Your blog is great! I will keep following! Greetings, Storage Newbury Park Ltd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the inspiration! Thumbs up for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. October in 2017, and just found this post. My son and daughter-in-law bought a house 6 months ago and my husband and I live with them. We are still trying to get settled. Boxes everywhere. Now I can start from the front door and be successful organizing once and for all. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you're thinking. Please feel free to leave ideas and comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How To Make Your Own Exercise Bike For Next To Nothing

Remember back in April when I had a kidney transplant?  Well, the kidney is doing great (thanks, Cathy , for taking such good care of it when you owned it).  There was one little glitch, however.  During surgery, the retractors they used caused some nerve damage in my right leg.  When I woke up from surgery, I couldn't move or feel my leg.  The docs felt like the feeling would come back but the paralysis had them stumped.  A visit to a neurologist ruled out a stroke and a CT scan showed some fluid which was pressing on L4 and L5 (medical talk which means I couldn't feel or move part of my leg).  The prognosis is good and I'm recovering pretty quickly.  In fact, I've left my cane behind and I'm walking freestyle without falling.  My next goal is to be able to drive. I've been itching to get back to exercising (physical therapy doesn't count) because my medication causes me to gain weight and I need to burn some calories.  Running? - nope.  Walking? - can&

A Designer's Secret For A Taller Bed

  Several years ago Hubs and I spent almost a year looking for a bedroom set that we both loved.  He wanted clean lines and dark wood.  I wanted curves and a "tall" bed.  Of course, there was no perfect bedroom set but we were able to compromise on a set that we both liked.  My main wish was for a bed that I could "climb up into".  The problem with that wish was that most of the "tall" beds were four poster beds and Hubs was not in the mood for that.  We found a Thomasville bed on display at a local furniture store and it fit the clean lines that Hubs wanted and it was "tall"  enough to suit me.  The problem was that once we received the bed we ordered in our home, it wasn't as tall as I had remembered it being.  My heart sunk!  I went back to the furniture store to look at the display.  Their bed was much taller than our bed.  Hmmm. . . what was different? I got nosey and lifted up the comforter on the bed.  It revealed their secret

Plans For A DIY Exercise Bike Stand

  Thank you to so many of you who emailed me about plans for the DIY Exercise Bike Stand .  I apologize that it has taken me so long to get the measurements to you, but they are finally here!   The wood was purchased at Home Depot and the bike pegs were purchased at Walmart in the bike section.    The bike we used for this project is a 24" 12 speed bike (I'm a shorty).  I used the hardest gear while riding, but this set-up does not allow you to really get much resistance (for building muscle).  It was great for getting my legs moving after some nerve damage.  I also wanted to burn calories and get my heart rate up and this did the trick.    If you have any questions, just shoot me an email.